George Washington – A Case of Character Part 3
In response to the Stamp Act of 1765 John Adams said:
- …liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people who have a right from the frame of their nature to knowledge, as their Creator who does nothing in vain, has given them understanding and a desire to know. But besides this they have a right, an indisputable, unalienable, indefeasible divine right to the most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge, I mean of the characters and conduct of their rulers.
I’ve often heard it said that what we need in Washington are men and women of character, people like George Washington. While I agree with this statement I am concerned that “We The People” are not doing what it takes to measure the character of our elected officials. After all if you and I don’t do this, who will?
Here are some simple steps that enable one to judge the character of their lawmakers:
- 1. Be aware of major laws proposed by Congress
- 2. Express your opinion to our elected officials and ask them for their position
- 3. Check their response against their voting record
- 4. Hold them accountable for consistently adhering to sound principle
- a. This means you must be educated on principles of morality and sound economic and social governance
- 5. Prepare future generations by teaching them our moral obligation to God, family
- and country. Do this in your homes, schools (we’ll teach you how we can do this here as well), churches, community organizations etc.
While this may seem overwhelming at first glance, there are some simple ways you can begin this process. I assure you that it is an investment that we owe ourselves, our progenitors and our children.
Liberty is Priceless.
Let us at the Thomas Jefferson Center assist you in learning to appreciate, love, value and defend the rich heritage of this great country so that we can select people of great moral character to represent us. Allow us to teach the principles of the Constitution so that together we can preserve a great nation. The results will astound you and your attitude for America will go from despair to hope!
Make Sure to Visit The Healing of America Education Series for details on the courses that we have available.